Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Not just another day at the office


In case you didn’t know, I’m an organizer.  If I see a mess, my hands itch to straighten it out.  

When I first saw Catherine’s office, I wondered how anyone could work in a place like that.  Papers here, files there, books all over the place ... how did she find anything?  A second later I thought ... if only I could get my hands on it.

When I checked with Catherine if she would let me have a go at her office, she was most agreeable.  If that was something I was willing to do, then by all means.

With Catherine out of town today, I got my chance.  I surveyed the situation, rolled up my sleeves and set to work.  Fifteen minutes into the job I wondered if I had perhaps bitten off a bit more than I could chew.  No point in turning back though, I had started something and I was going to finish it.

It took me the whole morning, well, sort of, in between I did other stuff, but by 12:00 I was finished.  The bookcase was organized, the desk was clutter free, you could see the cherry wood of the credenza again, and everything shone.  Catherine’s office positively sparkled.

During lunchtime I witnessed a protest march of college support workers.  This in itself was nothing new, I’ve seen protest marches before, but what I heard at the end of their protest was definitely something I’ve never heard before.   

A woman started singing her own rendition of the national anthem and her voice was so captivating several people stopped what they were doing to listen. 
If this was a college support worker, she was in the wrong line of business.  Think Tina Turner meets Aretha Franklin and you’re getting an idea of this woman’s voice.   
Thanks to a state of the art sound system, office workers far and wide were treated to an impromptu concert.

Makes you wonder what kind of people are out there, doing ordinary jobs, but possess an extraordinary talent. 

Bon Jovi was a Christmas decoration maker;
Gwen Stefani scrubbed floors at Dairy Queen;
Tom Cruise joined a seminary to become a priest;
Brad Pitt drove limos; and
Jerry Seinfeld sold light bulbs.

Have you ever wondered if you’re in the wrong line of work?

2 comments: