Friday, September 9, 2011

TGIF ?


 
What a day, what a day, what a day!!!  People generally looked forward to Friday, but today was the worst day of my week. 

It started this morning when my alarm clock didn’t go off and I overslept by half an hour.  I checked the alarm clock of course, set for 5:45 a.m., but it was now 6:15 and the clock hadn’t made a peep.  My lazy morning routine suddenly changed into a rush job

Not that rushing did me any good, because when I arrived at the station I heard the announcement that due to a situation earlier at McCowen station, trains experienced a delay.  During peak hour there usually is a train every 3 – 5 minutes, but this morning the waiting time had increased to 8 minutes.

When a train eventually did roll in he was so packed with people that no new passengers fitted in.  More and more people arrived at the platform, and again we waited for about 8 minutes.  When a second train arrived only a few people managed to get on, but I wasn’t one of them.

When the third train arrived I thought – like Elvis before me – “It’s now or never”.   I pushed a little, a squeezed a bit, but I managed to get in.  It was the typical sardine in a can situation, but if it got me to work on time, a sardine I would be.

At work things didn’t improve.  I honestly think that my boss, let’s call her Catherine (not her real name), has no idea what I’m doing.  Since she didn’t have any work for me today, she went and announced to others that if anyone needed help I would be able to lend a hand.  I nearly had an attack as I do a number of things that don’t involve her.  Things such as making payments, ordering stationery, handling incoming mail, scanning documents, answering emails, etc.  True as Bob, someone needed help ... copying minute books.  This took me the better part of the afternoon.  By the time I was done, my back felt like he was going to break and my legs and feet were burning.

If this is Friday, give me a Monday any day.  Following this posting I’m going to check my Lotto numbers.  Who  knows, I might be sitting here a millionaire. 

2 comments: